Tuesday 21 April 2009

Foundation Preparation 2:

Here is a list of the primary components of our film, explored in detail:

Music:
This, to me personally, was the most important field; some (even in my group) may argue with me on this. Especially after seeing how meticulous I was with general film editing, but they didn't see me working on sound behind the scenes ;)
For the loop to be used in the background of the film, I sourced some creepy stock atmospherics from drumnbass.be and dnbwiki.com, and some from the video game F.E.A.R, available to all visitors of one of their many fansites around a year ago (and I, making music, have been scouring for samples for a long time). I loaded each of these files into Logic8 and got a general feel for sequencing, volume control, fading in and out, and transition. I then exported each track individually, loaded them in Recycle to save them as Reason 4 friendly files, and loaded them in Reason 4 having done so. Once I had done this, I used a variety of filter and phaser effects to give the sound more life. The final product is continually audible throughout the film. This process was mirrored with different samples for the sound effect heard underlaying the shot of 'The Youth' watch Alex, Tom and Nikki from afar. The only sound effect that was different at all was the one used at the very end, the baseball bat swing. For this sound effect, I used a combination bass kicks and percussion for the impact sound, a sine wave for the initial swing before the impact and a pitch bend on a synth for the fade. Apart from the sine, I used ADSR to attain the perfect balance of impact and fade (A-Attack, D-Decay, S-Sustain, R-Release, all components of an Amp Envelope).

No comments: